Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The next to last awards show

Today is the deadline to vote for the Spirit Awards, "indie" film's version of the Oscars. Unlike the Oscars, I'm actually going to watch the Spirit Awards on the 21st, in part because I voted, so I feel like I have a vested interest. Many worthy films and performances were nominated, but there were also some odd omissions. No Milk or The Visitor for Best Feature, no Gus Van Sant for Best Director. Waltz with Bashir is MIA for Best Foreign Film as well as Trouble the Water for Best Documentary. I guess they figured--correctly, except for The Visitor-- that these films would be recognized by AMPAS in their respective categories, but it would have been nice to have had them in the mix. 

I am glad that Slumdog Millionaire was left out; that film needs no more attention at this point!

My fingers are crossed for Melissa Leo, up for Best Female Lead for Frozen River, and Rachel Getting Married's Rosemarie DeWitt, who was wrongly snubbed by Oscar, but is nominated for Best Supporting Female. And I hope Milk wins everything it's nominated for, and I think it will.


No comments:

Post a Comment